Sunday, March 6, 2016

Runnin' around Joburg.

Another busy week in Jozi :)

Here's the highlight reel:

I found the most magical sports massage therapist ever.  Big shout out to Tammy from Bodyologie in Bedfordview. Not only is she an amazing person, she's a miracle worker.  When I hopped off the table it was the first time in over two years my calves felt normal and that miracle was in addition to fixing the actual reason I was there... my shoulders been messed up for weeks. I blamed it on my non magical pillow but I think it's just my old lady shoulder. She also gave me a foot reading.   My right big toe says I need to cry more.  Probably true.   It's been a long time since I had a good cry.

But seriously if you are one of my SA readers... Tammy at Bodyologie.

The thing I am going to miss most when I leave is the people. I was actually a bit teary eyed driving to work on Friday thinking about it.  I'm just starting to form real relationships and friendships.  I have a little party crew I now go out with about once a week. This week they took me to Katzys, a loungey place with live bands in Rosebank to see Dr. Victor and the Rasta Rebels a famous Joburg cover band. While reminiscent of a wedding band, they were very good.  The DJ that played between sets was also good and genuinely a good person with an amazing back story. Turns out he's the DJ our company uses at events.  Although at one point he gave me a shout out and a bunch of dudes ran up to pet me and take my picture.  It freaked out my friends who haven't witnessed that phenomenon yet,  but while I still don't fully get it, it's not as shocking as it initially was and I don't think I was being kidnapped this time. There was one guy there from Evanston, Il randomly. For the record, he didn't try to pet me.


There are outdoor markets w/ crafts and booze and food and music almost everyday of the week.  I'm trying to make it to as many as I can as it gives me the opportunity to check out different parts of the city. I made it out to Linden Saturday for a pop up market, that was super cute and fun. The town it self was cute and a little quirky with a lot of sidewalk cafes and small art galleries. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday morning.
Gelato at the Market



















The highlight of the weekend was the HyundaiRock the Run 10k in Sandton. It was pretty awesome but it kicked my ass with all its hills and heat and altitude which I should be used to but I'm not. It's a perfect justification for  having a super lazy afternoon, writing by the pool, with a water bottle full of Moscow Mules. Yum. 

I told them to smile.

The race was two 5k loops around the city center, which, although it is the new Central Business District , it's tiny tiny. I think Madison, WI is bigger or at least more of a pain in the ass to drive in.  I'm not exactly sure how this works, but I feel like 90% of the course was at a 90% incline. Seriously.  Which means most people walked and created a lot of weaving for the runners.
This being my first international race a few interesting comparisons:
The streets weren't 100% closed, which meant occasionally cars pushed there way through intersections or out of hotel garages.  Water was dispensed in little condom like balloons and instead of sports drink there was Coke.  I normally don't take gels for anything less than 10 miles but I'm glad I did, because there was no post race snacks just more Coke.  Also other than the bands on the course there was Zero crowd support. Literally zero. Not even a few family members sprinkled around.

I'm not whining...  I had a great time.  As my friends keep telling me:  "TIA, Melissa, TIA."   (This is Africa).
F-ing Hills

This is what I think of you hill.

After I finished, I almost had a Madison Mini 2013(?) repeat where I vomited on Main Street and then passed out.  Thus I had my first visit to the Med tent ever. No vomiting or passing out, but I was doing the beginning of the heat/dehydration dance as I stumbled in.   Quick glucose and blood pressure tests and a few minutes in the shade I was fine and able to meet my friends for smoothies. I ended up staying to eat from the food truck caravan (yay post-race pizza) and give myself some time to stabilize.  I'm glad I did.  The featured band, Mi Casa, may be one of my new favs. A Chicago House flavor mixed with a African vibe.  As they say in Afrikaans they are Leker!  And they have horns. I'm a sucker for a horn section.

Yay!  We survived!!
Mi Casa is up there somewhere



6 sleeps until the hubby arrives! He's getting his safari clothes sorted (no, really he is).  Look forward to some guest posts from the notorious Little Phil. :). I can not wait to have him experience thecountry that I am falling in love with more and more each day and see it through his eyes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment