Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Namibia 1.0




Great weekend of meeting new friends under the Namibian skies.  I must admit I was hesitant about going on this trip and almost canceled.  I didn't really want to take two days off work and everyone I told about the trip said it wasn't worth going to.  I'm glad I sucked it up and went.

Namibia is gorgeous.  The pictures don't do it justice.   Our tour was booked with Chameleon Safari Tours.  I highly recommend them.   The are professional, knowledgeable and do everything in their power to ensure safety and an amazing experience.  We began in Windhoek Wednesday night, meeting up with 3 members of our tour group Thursday morning at the head office and traveled to Swakopmund, stopping at Dune 7 for lunch, at a gem market where locals sell gem stones locally mined, to the coast to visit the hundreds of flamingos that feed there and finally settling in to Hotel a la mer for the night after a group dinner and sunset on the beach at Tug.

Do you like me- circle yes or no....
Gem Market-  I just had to buy a amethyst necklace... I'm supporting the community, yo.




selfie with the pier at Tug
flamingos everywhere




































The next day started bright and early with  sand boarding or sliding down giant dunes on a piece of ply board aka magic carpet ride style.   The guides at the company, Alter Action, were very patient and helpful and had me going from face planting 2 inches into my first run to face planting due to speeding down the dune at 44 mph and stopping myself with my face on my last run.  Wheeeeee. I'm still finding sand in weird places.  The first trek up the dune was a little challenging... but once I went barefoot and made a game of it... you can't stop until you take 100 steps... now 150... now 300... it was easy and kinda fun.
The guides were obsessed with making us do Charlies Angels 

up, up, up we go

My job was to fly.

whoosh!
I totally slid down that at 44 mph.

Yaaassss... We did it!





The rest of our group scooped us up after 7 exhilarating runs down the dunes and we begun our 5 hour drive to Sossusvlei.   Traveling through Kuiseb Pass and Gaub Pass, stopping for pictures at the Tropic of Capricorn.

"long shot" desert potty
River bed... hasn't seen water in years
Long desert roads

We settled into our dessert camp for the night for a little luxury in the desert.


Goodnight Namibia

No comments:

Post a Comment