Friday, February 12, 2016

Wine in Cape Town

My weekend in Capetown Part III-  WINE!

Due to lack of planning and lack of time, we did an incredibly touristy version of a wine tour (The Red Hop on Hop Off Bus Wine Route)-  I may take my wine-ing  a little more serious when the Hubs visits.  Although he's not really into wine-ing so maybe there will be no wine.  As a team, we are more into vodka-ing.  Maybe there's a vodka tour.

I would like to find a really great pinotage to bring home to add to our  very tiny wine collection (I tend to drink the wine faster than it collects).   Pinotage is apparently the South African thing.   I've found some really great ones in the grocery store, but unfortunately none on this tour worth hauling back with me.

Wine:
Groot Constantia

We decided to go with the wine and chocolate pairing at our first stop on the "wine tour" because it was around 1pm and hey, chocolate counts as food right?




Apparently not so much, because 5- 1/2 glasses of wine later I was a little tipsy and I thought this pic of my feet not on a beach was the most hilarious thing in the world.    

The wine was okay.   I found the chocolate pairing, for the most part, pretty interesting.  For most of the pairings, the chocolate really did change the taste profile of the wine, bringing forward certain attributes.   Nothing I loved though.





 Not tipsy enough to stop drinking though, so off to the next stop:
Eagles Nest
We got "real" food and water this time.



Final Stop:  Beau Constantia

This Vineyard is really beautiful, but unfortunately no wine tasting here... T had enough and I had to wait for dinner for more wine.  :(   We did get to check out the "loo with a view" though.   That was pretty fantastic.

When we saw this, we were like what the hell, are there glory holes in this bathroom??

Nope.  Just a kick-ass view of vineyards while you pee.













A little wine buzzed and front seat on top of the drunk bus...err... I mean Red Bus...with Alkaline Trio blasting in my head phones and these breath taking views may have been one of the highlights of the trip.  It was one of those moments you have where you are like "Holy shit, how the hell did I get here?"







No comments:

Post a Comment